THE PEOPLES’ HOUSE
This structure was built by the donations of the people of Alexandrapol in the city park near the former cemetery. Over its 150 year old history, it had to go through many changes and it is hard to determine its exterior look. The house was literally the peoples’ home. More or less important initiations were carried out here such as discussions on social issues, literature-music evenings, first theatrical performances etc.
The first play of the great Armenian composer Armen Tigranyan’s “Anush” opera was first performed here in 1912. Leninakan’s state drama theater named after A. Mravyan operated here from 1920-1960s, as the Workers palace. After the 1988 earthquake, the building used to be the “Shirak” TV station.